Whether you are operating a standalone sportsbook, or work in partnership with third party price and data suppliers, your firm needs well trained staff to operate in the increasingly sophisticated and competitive betting market.
Whilst technology has brought many benefits and substantial change to the sports betting business, it has sometimes come at the cost of proper training and development to its staff. If your employees are compiling prices, operating in-play models or managing b2b services, they need to understand the product they are dealing with.
Technology is only as good as the people who are using it, so make sure your staff understand the essential skills of the sports betting trader.
I can deliver training for all levels of staff that contribute to your sportsbook service. This includes:
- Basic bookmaking theory and practice
- Mathematical skills to aid odds compilation
- Sports specific advanced compilation techniques
- Probabilistic concepts in sports betting
- Essential sports betting domain knowledge for other stakeholders in your business
There is no ‘one size fits all’ solution to your training needs – every firm has different requirements dependent on size, staff structure and areas of expertise. I can provide bespoke services that align with your current working practices.
Sports betting training offers many benefits to both your staff as individuals and your bookmakers as a whole:
- Training as an investment can aid productivity and in turn, help ensure consistent margins
- You can build a more efficient and motivated team, which will enhance your company’s reputation and improve employee morale
- Investing in staff training will give your traders the opportunity to develop their skills and further their careers with you
- Above all, you will have high quality staff with the skills that are essential for your business to succeed in this highly competitive industry
Due to popular demand, I have developed some of my most popular lectures into online training courses that can be purchased below. Purchase of an individual license entitles the user to lifetime access to all the videos and materials associated with the course. For commercial enquiries and multiple licenses, please get in touch using the contact form.
Course 1 – The Principles of Sports Odds Compiling
Over 8 hours of interactive learning, exercises and materials – essential for all those who wish to learn the skills required to be a sportsbook trader.
Topics include bookmaking principles, combinatorics, important probability distributions, simulation and Excel usage.
Course 2 – Advanced Football Pricing
Ideal for football odds compilers who want to learn how to make robust prices for soccer matches.
Topics include Goal expectation, Maher model, xG, Goalscorer markets, Corners, bookings, long term markets simulation.
COURSE 3 – TENNIS PRICING
Understand the mathematics behind the game of tennis. Topics include:
- Experimenting with different ratings systems to create your own solid pre-match odds
- Building tournament simulations, pre-match and in-play models
- Calculating server hold probabilities correctly
COURSE 4 – BASKETBALL PRICING
Learn how to:
- Create probabilities for basketball matches using statistical modelling techniques
- Build an NBA season simulation
- Understand player props
- Build a calculated in-play model
COURSE 5 – VOLLEYBALL PRICING
Use statistical modelling techniques to find robust odds for volleyball matches. Lessons include simulation of pre-match markets and using an automated ELO model to update team strengths.
COURSE 6 – NFL PRICING
Students will learn the mathematics behind the 538.com ELO model and build it themselves.
With over 25 years’ experience in the sports betting industry, I am well placed to provide your staff with the training and understanding they need to make your business more profitable.
I’ve worked as a senior odds compiler and market maker at a number of high profile fixed odds and spread betting firms, adapting to the changing demands that the industry has seen since the 1990s.
More recently, I was the co-architect of the ground-breaking Postgraduate Certificate in Sports Pricing and Trading in association with the University of Salford and have implemented several bespoke internal training schemes for Sporting Solutions. Additionally, I build bespoke trading tools for my clients to complement their sportsbook operations.
For more information, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can fill out the enquiry form below.